Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Of Athletes and the Hot Sun

Assalamualaikum.

I've been away for some time. Busy with reality.

And of course, me being me, observing people. This time? I've been so fortunate that I had been assigned to be on duty on the field. Yes, under the hot blazing sun, watching kids, oh, no, athletes run and run and run.

At first, I was so pissed at being selected. I mean, of all the things on my NOT-TO-DO list, it is running. Or whatever it is related to sweat, and hot sun and sunburned. My whining at the beginning: That I was going to turn into Dayang Senandung. But a friend teased me and said: Hey, remember that Dayang Senandung is royalty!

But, there's a popular saying that said, when life gives you lemon, make lemonade. So, yeah, that's what I tried to do for the past 4 days.

I wondered, what drove these kids to run? And whatever it is that athletes do. The closest I came with being a sportswoman was during those Sports Day in school and during KPLI. Hahahah. And of course, hating every moment of it, since it was so so so hot!

The way I see it, there's this group of kids that is very passionate about sports. Maybe, me, being the nerdy kid back in school, I never realized they existed in school. You know, the hot guy that is popular in school, either he is a football player, or maybe the athlete that wins every event in school. Hahahah. I mean, I was so busy burying my nose into those lovely, lovely books that I never knew there was this group of people that love to sweat under the hot sun. That's why, my classmates, usually the guys, always teased me, and they only dared after we were no longer in school, that my life just revolved around my books.

Oh well... That's because my priority at that time was getting the best results out of SPM and then entering university and getting scholarship so that I wouldn't be burdened with PTPTN. I think, I only noticed guys when I was in university. Hahah. And of course, me being me, I went for brains instead of looks. I mean, come on! If he doesn't read, and doesn't know anything, what are you going to discuss? The best eye cream? Or the colour of your contact lenses? Hahahah.

I digress, yet again. I saw how frustrated some of them when they lost. Maybe, to them, it's the same thing as my own disappointment when I didn't score during my exams.  I could relate to that. Everybody is looking for success, and it may not be in the same field.

So, yeah. Everything happened for a reason. Being under the blazing sun for 4 days ain't that bad. At least, I learned that athletes that are the new breed. I didn't notice them before. And I would never say that my type is the athletic type. I mean, he would force me to run. And I hate running. I hate sweating. Hahahah. Oh well. The future? I have no idea. So in the mean time, I will just go with the flow.

Wassalam.







No comments:

Post a Comment