Sunday, December 29, 2013

WHY?

Assalamualaikum.

I am certain, people, whether parents, kids and us, teachers, are right now busy with last minute details since school will be open on 1st January 2014, if you are in Terengganu, Kelantan, Kedah and Johor, that is.

So. Decided to look up about materials needed for next year's classes. I am kind of nervous. I guess, for me, the same feelings will be the same, no matter how long I have been in service. I mean, I remembered how nervous I was in 2010, 4th of January. And then, going back for 2011, yet again 2012, so on, and now 2014 is here? The same excitement, mixed with that kind of fear, what if I couldn't control my kids? What if they are a bit naughty? What if they couldn't understand my teaching? All those what if's rolled into a BIG what if's?

Hence, I found this website:

http://ainulfarina.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-i-become-teacher.html

I could relate to her. My family, though not as poor as hers, was dysfunctional. So, I grew up knowing that I had to be a SUCCESS. That's all. I have no real goal actually. You know, like waking up one day and just knew that I wanted to be a DOCTOR or a LAWYER or etc. All I wanted to be was to work, make money so that I don't have to be dependent upon a man for the smallest thing in my life.

When I was in UKM Matriculation, I thought I had it all figured out. I was going to follow my mother's advise and entered TESL to be become an English teacher. However, destiny intervened and I entered Telecommunication and Computer Engineering. Being and Engineering student, was very challenging. And, I went to work with the company that sponsored me during my study.


Entering the rat race, I decided after working for nearly two years, wasn't how I envision what I want my life was going to be in the next 30 years or so. So I did some soul searching and thinking and decided. Maybe, my mother was right all along. Maybe being a teacher is far better for me.

With that, I decided to apply for KPLI. You know, there's a lot of stigma that is attached with KPLI graduates. Sure, there are some that bring shame and disgrace to the program, but couldn't we be given a chance to learn the ropes? We do have some knowledge from our study in university to bring to the education world. Maybe, the exchange of ideas would bring a lot of excellent benefits for the kids. But I usually turn the other cheek when the matter about how graduates from KPLI are sub par compared to other teachers from the teaching diploma or university itself. I see no point in debating the issue. 

The big question for me to ponder tonight as I lay in bed and try to sleep - why did I chose to become a teacher? And maybe I could calm my anxiety since school will be opening.



No comments:

Post a Comment