Last night, I googled – cikgu dulu vs cikgu sekarang (teachers back in the old days vs teachers in present days)....
There were a lot of opinions regarding teachers back then and teachers nowadays. One thing most of them agreed was that teachers back then were more dedicated to the profession. Is the statement true? In some ways, yes, I think. Take this scenario. Teachers back then didn’t have excuses in doing their job and fulfilling their obligations. Nowadays? When asked to do something some teachers are full of excuses. “I have a baby, so I am unable to go to this course.” “I am married. So I need to be transferred to be with my husband/wife.” “I am .... bla bla bla bla.” Trust me, I am a teacher myself, so I heard all these excuses throughout my short teaching career. There’s a long way to go for me yet, so I expect to hear a lot more.... I hope that I won’t be one of those teachers who have a lot of excuses when it comes down to fulfilling our obligations.
One more thing that I wondered about the teachers nowadays - how come the workload distribution is not the same? Before this, I only heard rumours about how single teachers have always been given extra work compared to the married ones. Now, being in this profession, I have discovered a grain of truth in this statement. Why is this happening? Aren’t all the teachers are paid for the reason being that they have to do their job? Are the married teachers assume that the single ones doesn’t have a life outside school – with the reason that they don’t have a husband; thus would be able to focus on the job they are asked to do.
I remembered back in the old days when I was schooling in the 1980’s – 1990’s. I loved going to school, well, for a kid at least (of course there were days when I feel lazy!). My English Language teachers made the lesson very interesting for me. Recalling the time when my primary school teacher showed the movie – Sound of Music. I think that was the starting point for me to start loving the language!
All in all, I think the teachers these days should emulate the teachers from the old days. Let us work together to educate the young in Malaysia. Only with education would the poor be able to change their lives. Insya Allah, I pray that Allah will grant us ease in our journey through life and our endeavour to educate people....
"Mempelajari pengetahuan itu adalah sama dengan memuji Allah SWT.
Menuntut pengetahuan adalah sama dengan melakukan perang di jalan Allah SWT.
Mengajarkan pengetahuan adalah sama dengan bersedekah, dan dengan mengajarkan pengetahuan kita akan mendapat pahala."
— Imam Al-Ghazali
No comments:
Post a Comment