From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A villain (also known in film and literature as the "bad guy", "black hat", or "heavy") is an "evil" character in a story, whether a historical narrative or, especially, a work of fiction. The villain usually is the antagonist, the character who tends to have a negative effect on other characters. A female villain is sometimes called a villainess (often to differentiate her from a male villain). Random House Unabridged Dictionary defines villain as "a cruelly malicious person who is involved in or devoted to wickedness or crime; scoundrel; or a character in a play, novel, or the like, who constitutes an important evil agency in the plot".
A protagonist (from the Greek πρωταγωνιστής protagonistes, "one who plays the first part, chief actor"[1]) is the main character (the central or primary personal figure) of a literary, theatrical, cinematic, video game, or musical narrative, around whom the events of the narrative's plot revolve and with whom the audience is intended to share the most empathy.
"In the real world there are no villains. No one actually sets out to do evil. Fiction mirrors life. Or, more accurately, fiction serves as a lens to focus what we know of life and bring its realities into sharper, clearer understanding for us. There are no villains cackling and rubbing their hands in glee as they contemplate their evil deeds. There are only people with problems, struggling to solve them."[ - benbova.com. pp. 2. http://benbova.com/tips2.html. Retrieved 2008-12-05.
Some might question – why am I writing about the hero and the villain? Well, in my previous post I blogged about wanting to become a writer. So this is part of my research, I guess. I need to know which is which. But I have a weakness; I hate a story where the villain/s is so bad I feel like screaming. For example, the drama Arjuna – there are so many villains that I lost track of them. And so the inevitable happens, I stopped watching that drama, even though Remi Ishak is a hottie!!! Hehehhehe...
Times’ up. I had to go to class... I’ll be back (Arnie’s tone from the Terminator)
No comments:
Post a Comment