Sunday, August 7, 2011

Should I...


I don’t like to write about my profession. I don’t know why. Sometimes, on May 16th each year, I find myself staring into the blank Microsoft Office Word, trying to find the correct phrases and sentences to describe how I feel that day;  About how being in this profession has changed me, and I how I hope it’s for the better.

Unfortunately, I could barely string 2 sentences together. I remembered my written essay as one of the requirements for the interview:

Q: Why do you want to be one?

A: Definitely not because of the money. If I were to put monetary values on this profession, then it’d be really pointless. I want to teach the children from rural areas in Terengganu.

Comment from me now: Well, they did say that be careful what you wish for right? Now, I am living my dreams, teaching in rural area in my own state. Hehehehe.... I have no regrets actually about the place that I’ve been stationed to.

What pains me now: the type of people I encounter in this place. Sure, there are some great people here. But, sadly, there are some really highly educated people with 3rd world mentality.

Should that person be considered a teacher when he/ she:
1.       Reads newspaper even when it’s her/ his time to teach?
2.       Gossips incessantly about other people but fails to reflect on her/ his faults?
3.       Criticizes others and finding other people mistakes when she/ he is not that perfect?
4.       Keeps on sms’ing/ talking on the phone/ browsing the net, even when it’s her/ his time to teach?
5.       Refuses to accept the responsibilities to her/ him, especially when it is additional class for our pupils, with the reason being having no transportation?
6.       Refuses to go to a course with the same reason as above?
7.       Attacks other teacher because other teachers tell the true story of her/ his children misbehaviour?
8.       Borrows money from others by selling her/ his sad story and then going on a buying spree?
9.       All of the above...

Wise men used to say that respect should be earned, not be given. When you do things that make others disrespect you, don’t expect others to believe in you anymore. You get what you give. Full stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment