Wednesday, August 22, 2012

One At a Time

Assalamualaikum.

"Can't change the world over night"  - Travis McCoy

Why did I choose to be an English Language teacher? That question kept popping up in my head again and again throughout 2012, especially after a very noisy class. My head is pounding, my heart is heavy and I feel like screaming non stop to the kids.

But, they are just kids. And deep inside my heart, I love them, no matter how naughty they are. But, sometimes, I feel like writing a resignation letter and sending them, and just go with the flow. I don't know why I am still here, trying to do my best. My aim is not high at this moment, I just want my kids to learn something. If the year 1 kids could understand only one word after half an hour, I feel great. At least they learn a new word.

I remembered my first English class in UKM  Bangi back when I was doing my Science and Mathematics Matriculation - batch 1999/2000. A guy was skeptical when I said that I was from Terengganu. He said that I  spoke the language well (well, not stuttering is okay, right?) since I was from Terengganu. He expressed his opinion that students from the east coast could not speak English, 'nada', none at all. I was outraged! You see, I am from Sultan Sulaiman Secondary School, and all my friends spoke fluent English. Where did the fact that we from the east coast could not speak English come from? 

I thought of applying for TESL after the Matriculation. But fate intervened, and I took Computer and Communication Engineering. My heart was not in it, though I tried as hard as I could. I went to work a private company after that. Then, I applied for KPLI English, and Alhamdulillah was accepted.

Thus the journey begun.... I think this profession kind of grow on you... it sneaks into your heart and stay there, no matter how hard you try to deny it. Sure,being humans, someday, I love what I do, especially when I see the light dawned on my pupils' eyes after I taught them something. But on a bad day, I just feel finding a quiet spot someday and going for a nap. And then submitting my resignation letter. But that's just me.

Now, in my 3rd year of teaching (still a loooonnnnggg way to go, insya Alllah), I realize one thing. Who likes it when a teacher enter a class and start telling them off for their bad behavior? Kids nowadays, they are different from us. They like to ask questions. They don't like to be told what to do without asking 'why?'. They are more critical due to the exposure of the outside world. Youtube, blogs, facebook, twitter, etc. Sometimes, they talk about something and I don't understand what the heck they are talking about...heheheh...Shaking my head - kids nowadays...

So yeah, being a teacher is anything but boring. I had to be constantly on my feet to be able to keep up with my kids. At least, the kids are honest. You know when they like you, you also know  when they hate you because you are too strict with them. 

I remembered my Ilmu Pendidikan lecturer, Madame X saying, the kids need love the most. Some of them don't receive love at home, maybe because the parents are busy or maybe they come from a broken family. That's why, some of them are naughty, because they crave your attention. Do you realize that mostly the teacher remember the smart kids and the naughty kids? It's hard to remember all the 35 kids, but I definitely remember the naughty ones...

Kids today are tomorrow's leader. What will happen if they are not given the proper guidance to face the future? What will happen to our country then? We are constantly pointing fingers when something bad happens - illegitimate baby being born and then dumped, drug addictions, prostitution, porn, human trafficking,  etc. All those social ills, why and how? Why does it happen? How do we overcome it?

Change is good. Let us build our future leaders today. Give our kids our love, but make sure, they are taught to know Allah. That first please. When they know Allah is always watching them, no matter where they are, then, they know they have to be on their best behavior. Make sure that our future generation won't sell our country to the highest bidder. Make sure that our future generation know the value of LOVE. And know that they are not alone. They are never alone. Allah is with them. The best gift we as adults, parents, teachers, leaders, etc could give to our kids are ; ROOTS and WINGS. They can always come back home, but they must know how to be independent. Insya Allah, Malaysia will be prosperous and save from chaos.

(suddenly I feel that this entry is way to serious compared to my lite and easy entries before....sorry if I made you all yawn!). But I am really sad with the behavior of my kids. I pray that it's not too late for them... insya Allah there's a way...)

Wassalam.

No comments:

Post a Comment