Sunday, July 3, 2011

Lessons my mother taught me

My mother was not a degree holder like most mothers today. My mother was just a typical stay-at-home Malay woman. But what I remembered most about her, ever since I was a little girl, she loved to read. She read books, magazines and also newspapers (back when the newspapers were not a tool of propaganda!). And she wondered why I love books so much? Heheheh.

When she was around, I didn’t realize what a gem she was. She was always there for me through happiness and sadness. Her strong will made me who I am today. If she and my sister had given up on me back then, I don’t know who I would be today!

She didn’t have to say much about anything. She taught her lessons through actions, and that is much more valuable compared to mere words.

Lessons my mother taught me (in no particular order):

  1.   Education is very important to us. With education we could change our lives
  2.  Always look for knowledge. Read, read and read some more
  3.  When you go to a wedding feast, don’t expect the host to provide us with the food to take home. Eat at the wedding feast. If you are hungry, cook for yourself first at home
  4.  Pray the earliest possible moment. Let’s say the azan is at 1.15p.m., don’t wait until 3.30 p.m. to perform prayer
  5.  When people insulted you, just keep quiet. Don’t retaliate. It’s just a waste of time
  6.  Humour is very important. Especially with the right person. Don’t be too rough when you are making a joke. The purpose is to share the laughter, not to hurt others
  7.  Don’t be a busy body. Just do your job, in the best way you could
  8. Treat others the way you want others to treat you. Don’t hurt others
  9. Recite the Yassin on Friday nights. Recite the Quran  on other nights
  10.  Be loyal in love
  11. Help others in need, even if you are not that well off. Every little good deeds make a difference
  12.  Listen. Be a good listener
  13.  Most of all is be punctual!

There are other lessons in life that she taught me, but I think these 13 lessons are the important ones...

Thank you, mak, for believing in me, when all I wanted to do is stop moving. Thank you for making me a person. Insya Allah, we will meet again in the afterlife!



No comments:

Post a Comment