Saturday, July 2, 2011

My car, my rules...

This statement sounds so arrogant, right? But I think this is true with Malaysian drivers.

After my brief experience of driving for nearly 5 months++, I find that most Malaysian, ok well, Terengganu drivers lacked patients when it comes to being on the road.

I don’t have to point fingers at anyone. Take me for example. When I started driving back in February, I have to admit that I am a timid driver. My sister laughed at me, questioning me when am I ever going to get to my destination if I barely stepped on the gas. And Cikgu Bi had questioned my speed limit back when I was still in the learning process. Imagine this, it was in the middle of the afternoon, in Jerangau-Jabur highway, and I drove at 60km/hour!
Hahaha... when I looked back, it was all so funny. What’s my limit now, some might ask? It’s 120km/hour if the road is clear and I am in a hurry.  Normally I would drive around 80km/hour if I have all the time in the world. It’s still slow right?

And now, when some stupid car/s overtakes me in a dangerous kind of way, I usually say profanities at them. Now, now, this is really not good. Our mouths should be used to praise Allah and also for mentioning positive things, not for THAT! Why do I do this, if I know that it’s wrong? Well, we know that road to hell is paved with pleasurable things. It felt good to swear at those drivers! Hehhehehe...

I should change my attitude. But it’s hard breaking a bad habit. Take this analogy. You know that smoking is bad for your health, but you still do, because it feels good. The same goes with other bad habits, in my instance, swearing at irresponsible drivers. Instead of doing that, which accomplishes nothing, I should pray for them to turn over a new leaf and NOT drive dangerously!

We need more patience when driving. Please, don’t be selfish on the road. Everyone is in a hurry. Just try your best to abide by the traffic rules. If it’s your life only that you’re endangering, it’s not so bad. But what if you hit a father, or even a mother? What would happen to their child? Just reflect back on your driving and try to change. Starting from NOW! It’s never too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment